Everybody who has tried writing an academic essay would agree that choosing the best topic to write about is probably the greatest hurdle that awaits every essay writer. This is especially true if you are to write an essay whose essay prompt gives you the freedom to select a topic that you find interesting, manageable, and achievable.
In most cases, rushing and writing about something you are genuinely interested in or passionate about is common. Any topic can make for a good one as long as it meets some criteria we will share in this article. If you spend quality time researching and brainstorming, you will likely yield the best topics. However, you should know that not all sentences and topics fit in one essay. Knowing the kind of essay you are to write, whether expository, argumentative, persuasive, reflective, or informative, can set you on a good course toward choosing the right topic.
This article lists some of the best essay topics and ideas you can consider or use as a starting point to brainstorm fresh topics and ideas.
List of Over 600 Topics and Ideas for Different Essays
If ever there is something that students struggle with or that turns down their writing morale, it is choosing a good topic for an essay. It is every essay’s challenge for every student at some point, just like it is hard to elect a suitable research paper topic.
Instead of developing writer’s block, giving in to procrastination, or hurriedly choosing a topic for the sake of it, it is necessary first to read the instructions.
If your prompt has a list of topics to select from, you are safe but not out of the woods yet. You would need to select a good topic that is manageable, researchable, relatable, and enjoyable to share your thoughts and insights on a short or long essay. And if you are left at liberty to select a suitable essay topic for your college, high school, university, master’s, or Ph.D. essay, be our guest. Our list exhaustively covers some unique topics considering things that happen around us, the news, and the creative aspects of writing an essay. Let’s step up your essay writing process to the next level. Our list will undoubtedly interest you even if you don’t feel like writing an essay.
But first, here are some related guides to writing essays you certainly should check out:
You will find such links to our respective essay guides in this article, don’t hesitate to skim through them for sweet knowledge specialized to different types of essays.
Animals Essay Topics
Asked to write an essay about animals? Check out the topic ideas below to get inspiration for your animal essay topic.
- The impacts of military sonar on whales
- Ethics of seafood farms
- Effects of fish farming on lakes and seas
- How birds contribute to a stable marine ecosystem
- Impacts of bees on cross-pollination
- Animal testing for medical purposes is unethical
- Zoos are only harmful to endangered species
- Trophy hunting in Africa is discriminative
- Cats make better pets than dogs
- Human activities contribute to animal extinction
- People working 8-5 should not keep pets
- Animal shelters save animal life
- Animals help balance the ecosystem
- Animal instincts are better than that of humans
- Puppy mills should be abolished
- Factory farming is dangerous
- Keeping exotic animals as pets brings satisfaction
- Consequences of pet overpopulation
- Dog fighting should be abolished
- Consequences of animal cruelty
Arts Essay Topics
Humans have been making art for ages. Check out the arts essay topic examples below to get inspiration for your art essay.
- History of abstract expressionism
- Bauhaus movement
- Soviet versus Nazi art
- Analysis of the works of Vivian Maier
- Origins of Jazz music
- The most consequential artwork of Leonardo Da Vinci
- Is art therapy real, and how does it work?
- The evolution of animation in the United States
- Textile arts and their origins
- Cubism versus impressionism
- Sources and significance of political cartoons
- Art deco artistic styles
- Vincent Van Gogh’s The Potato Eaters
- Why Michelangelo’s carving of David is so unique?
- Edgar Degas and his dancing paintings
- The depiction of beauty standards in Victorian paintings
- Jackson Pollock’s art techniques
- Pablo Picasso’s most famous painting
- Futurism in sculpturing
- Judith and the Head of Holofernes by Gustav Klimt; discuss its significance
Automotive Essay Topics
Cars are an important mode of transport. Discover the best car and automotive essay topic ideas below.
- What will cars look like in 2050?
- Will high-speed trains replace cars as a popular mode of transport in the USA?
- What are the leading causes of car accidents?
- Should cars be banned in favor of public transport?
- Are electric vehicles 100% eco-friendly?
- Are self-driving cars the future of the automotive industry?
- The car I dream about
- The pros and cons of self-driving cars
- The pros and cons of electric cars
- Will the working-from-home trend significantly affect car sales?
- The history of the automotive industry in the USA
- How Ford revolutionized transportation
- Are cars a symbol of success?
- Car pollution in New Delhi and how it can be addressed.
- Fossil fuel cars versus hybrid cars
- Are electric cars worth it?
- Are natural gas cars cheaper to run and maintain?
- Do car-free days significantly reduce air pollution?
- Types of cars and their uses
- The Japanese versus the American automotive industries
Aviation Essay Topics
The Wright brothers birthed the aviation industry in 1903 when they completed their first functional plane and took their first flight. Over the years, the industry has grown in leaps and bounds across the world. Discover aviation essay topic ideas below.
- Boeing Company and its role in the aviation industry
- How Airbus has grown to become the leading long-haul aircraft manufacturer
- Why do pilots need to be physically fit?
- What is jet lag, and how can it be best handled?
- What are the pros and cons of the aviation industry?
- Major aviation safety measures and operations
- Security management systems utilized in the aviation industry
- Aviation: The past and the present
- Effect of climate change on aviation
- External and internal issues facing the aviation industry
- British Airways: Human resource framework in the flight industry
- Enhancing aviation safety in America
- History of the British aviation industry
- Evaluation of China’s aviation model
- The impact of social media on the management of the aviation crisis
- Prominent inventions in the aviation industry
- Flight safety: Inspection and maintenance
- Significant organizational aspects of the aviation sector
- Aviation psychology
- Comparison of aviation regulations in the UAE and USA
Biology Essay Topics
Biology is often referred to as the science of life. Discover captivating Biology essay topic ideas below:
- Impacts of camouflage on sea animals
- Impacts of global warming on marine species.’
- How wildfires and deforestation affect biodiversity
- Impacts of human population explosion on flora and fauna
- The impacts of stress on the human immune system
- Effects of cell structure on antibiotic resistance
- How bacteria invade the body
- The process the body uses to fight infections
- Role of microbes in food contamination
- How kidneys filter blood
- The biological importance of sleep
- The functions of the sodium-potassium pump
- The process of bone formation and bone healing
- Role of microtubules in the nervous system
- The contraction of muscles in the body
- Impacts of microplastics on humans
- Causes and consequences of algal blooms
- Impacts of genetically modified organisms on human health
- Impacts of indoor pollution
- Impacts of heavy metals on humans
Blockchain Essay Topics
Under the realm of technology, the invention of web 3.0 has transformed how everything is done. If assigned to write an essay and you have a specific interest in blockchain and cryptocurrencies, you can consider the topic ideas and suggestions below:
- The role of blockchain technology in cybersecurity
- The impacts of blockchain on businesses
- How blockchain can transform the supply chain industry
- Blockchain technology and banking
- Application of blockchain technology in the healthcare sector
- Why governments are against cryptocurrencies
- Impacts of denial-of-service attack on the cryptocurrency ecosystem
- The pros and cons of blockchain
- The link between cryptocurrencies and money laundering
- Effects of cryptocurrency regulations on organized crimes
- Who invented Bitcoin?
- Strategies for valuing crypto-assets
- Impacts of blockchains in cross border payments
- Impacts of blockchain on humanitarian assistance
- Application of blockchain-based crowdfunding for new startups
- How blockchain can solve drug counterfeiting in the pharmaceutical industry
- Application of blockchain technology in securing patient data
- Application of blockchain in the education sector
- The economic significance of cryptocurrencies
- Can blockchain technology improve the integrity of electoral systems?
Business Topics for Essays
The field of business is wide, with lots of theories and concepts. Some popular business areas include business management, organizational behavior, supply and demand, business law, and business ethics. Discover some of the best business essay topics below:
- Responsibilities of managers toward employees
- Use of specialized software in business prognosis
- Consumer loyalty in Britain versus America
- E-commerce during the pandemic
- Implications of sexual harassment at the workplace
- Significance of corporate social responsibility
- The role of the United States in global logistics
- Evaluation of intellectual property laws in the United Kingdom
- Pros and cons of cloud services in business
- Impact of outsourcing on legal responsibilities
- Relationship between supply and demand
- Patent law, trademark, and copyright explained
- Value of a license in business
- The Black Friday phenomenon
- How does copyright law protect a company?
- Conflict resolution at the workplace
- Public unions: Their policies and choices for employees
- How to achieve business diversity
- Impact of covid-19 on global partnerships
- What is the impact of nepotism on business?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Coming up with a topic for your cause-and-effect essay should not be difficult. Below are a few good ideas to choose from:
- The influence of Uber on taxi drivers
- How healthy relationships affect an individual
- Impacts of online dating
- What are the effects of homeschooling
- What makes an individual a good parent?
- What are the impacts of terrorism on the victims?
- The causes and effects of divorces
- Effects of bullying on school children
- Russian politics against the neighboring nations
- Effects of music on the human brain
- Potential dangers brought by earthquakes
- Impacts of the Syrian war on the United States
- Effects of stress on mental health
- Impact of social media on modern dating
- What effect does smoking have on pregnant women
- Effects of air pollution
- Alcoholism and the nervous system
- How does traveling the world affect an individual’s personality
- The causes and aftermaths of a tsunami
- Outcomes of growing up in extreme poverty
Related Reading: How to write a claim in an essay
Classification Essay Topics and Ideas
Classification essays are one of the most common academic essays. In this type of essay, you’ll have to classify objects, characters, or ideas into particular groups, mainly based on their features. Discover some of the best classification essay topics and ideas below:
- Types of lectures
- Methods used to build personality at learning institutions
- Effective teaching techniques
- Aspects of traditional learning
- What are the different kinds of academic resources available online?
- Types of allergies
- Types of vegetables and their benefits
- How to gain weight
- Proven effective ways to stop smoking
- Types of skin acne
- Kinds of legal entities
- Best television shows for toddlers
- Effective money-saving techniques
- Genres of music
- Categories of abstract art
- Types of volleyball serve
- Climatic zones in Africa
- Types of computers
- The behavior of school children in the classroom
- Methods used to alleviate stress
Related Reading: Steps for writing a classification essay.
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Compare and contrast essays assess two or more subjects. When picking a topic for your compare and contrast essay, select a topic on which you can quickly build both sides. Below are some of the best compare-and-contrast essay topics to consider:
- Therapeutic versus operations cancer treatment
- Medication versus vaccination
- A comparison of American healthcare and the British healthcare
- Google Pixel or Apple? Which one is better?
- Windows versus Mac OS
- Online versus physical shopping experience
- Seasonal employment versus part-time employment
- Comparison between classroom learning and e-learning
- Economics versus economy
- GNP and GDP: Differences and similarities
- Management versus economics explained
- Communism versus socialism in Europe
- Islamic versus Christian religious thoughts
- Which one is better: certified of free trade?
- Comparison between an ancient and contemporary artwork
- Democracy versus autocracy
- Differences in political thoughts between Democrats and Republicans
- Are tornadoes deadlier than hurricanes?
- Disparities between Christianity and Judaism
- Differences in behavior between autistic and non-autistic toddlers
Related Reading: Compare and contrast essay topics
Criminology Essay Topics and Ideas
Just as suggested by the name, criminology essays deal with criminal issues. Criminology essay topics are limited and flexible, given that they should provide hypotheses based on renowned case studies or legislative acts. Discover some of the best criminology essay topics below:
- Comparison between forensic and therapeutic assessment
- The impact of forensic psychology on the legal system
- Criminology: History and public policies
- Influence of socio-economic status on an individual’s criminal behavior
- Relationship between law violation and mental health
- Is there a connection between law violation and religious beliefs?
- The role played by media in criminology
- The restrictions of crime mapping
- Nature of criminal behavior
- What is the correlation between crime rate and social class?
- Is criminality a product of culture?
- Ways to prevent crime on college campuses
- Impact of systematic bias on criminal justice
- Cons and pros of racial profiling
- Discrimination in the American court system
- Discrimination in the British court system
- Ways to minimize wrongful conviction
- The benefits of community corrections
- Crime and substance abuse
- What laws protect the victims of domestic abuse?
Culture Essay Topics and Ideas
Cultural essay topics are pretty easy to find. Discover some of the best essay culture topics below:
- The culture of Hip hop music
- Similarities and differences between Australian and British culture
- Islam’s religious and cultural beliefs
- Culture and lifestyle of Indian people
- Stereotypes and cultural diversity
- Cultural competence among medical experts
- Significance of cultural competence in criminology
- How to effectively overcome cultural differences
- Socio-cultural causes of crime
- Impact of cultural influence on personality
- Experiencing culture through language
- Implications of cross-cultural interactions
- Highlights of the Jewish culture
- Racial and cultural inequality in the justice system
- Cultural disparities from a global perspective
- Cultural and social development of the Red Indians
- The culture of jazz music
- How to enhance cultural relativism in the workplace
- Research testing and cultural bias
- The significance of cultural diversity in learning institutions
Related Guide: How to write a good CUEGIS essay.
Definition essay Topics and Ideas
Definition papers are among the most common essays written in colleges and schools. The main objective of such essays is to explain a chosen phrase or idea to the reader. Discover some of the best definition essay topics and ideas below:
- What is business ethics?
- Explain the phrase governance
- What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
- What are the various forms of governance?
- Explain the phrase endangered species
- Define nature
- What is mental health?
- Define deforestation
- How is gratitude expressed in different cultures?
- What is terrorism?
- What does the word freedom mean in today’s world?
- Explain the concept of free-will
- Marriage: Its definition and significance
- Why do people enjoy online shopping?
- How to become a good teacher
- What is the definition of success
- Male chauvinism: Meaning and key features
- Definition of global warming and its causes
- What is cyberbullying?
- What does it mean to have a stable marriage?
Related Reading: How to write a definition essay.
Descriptive Essay Topics and Ideas
Many students enjoy writing descriptive essays as they allow unlimited freedom of expression. There are several types of descriptive essays, and below are some of the exciting topics to consider for your descriptive essay:
- The vacation I’ll never forget
- The most beautiful place in Africa
- Top ten movies to watch
- The wonders of New Zealand
- How to prepare tasty homemade pizza
- How I spent my summer holiday
- The real meaning of friendship
- My favorite poet
- The work of a doctor
- What it is like to be a professional hockey player
- A day in the life of the American president
- An unforgettable walk in the park
- How it feels to be a rock star
- A cold winter night
- Napoleon: The great king of Europe
- In the heart of the Amazon
- What does space look like?
- The most beautiful places in Thailand
- My lonely childhood
- A day with the Himba tribe of Namibia
Education Essay Topics
Finding an ideal topic for an education essay is somewhat challenging. However, do not fuss! Below is a list of some excellent education essay topics for your consideration.
- Benefits of introducing sex education to learning institutions
- Enhancing diversity in schools
- The significance of changing the academic curriculum
- Impacts of the 21st-century education model on learning
- What is the importance of education for the young generation?
- Quality of university education in America versus Australia
- What is the future of higher learning?
- Roles played by parents in their children’s education
- Effect of poor political guidelines on education
- The impact of ICT on learning
- Gender inequality in African schools
- The influence of culture on higher learning
- How has technology impacted education
- Traditional knowledge versus online learning
- Significance of tablets in early education
- Education as a powerful tool for societal change
- Education and poverty: What is the connection?
- The American perception of education and gender equity
- Pros and cons of homeschooling your children
- Should the grading of students be abolished?
English Literature Essay Topics
There are many topics to choose from for that great novel piece or book you’ve been reading. Below are a few examples of English literature essay topics to get you started:
- Depiction of grief in The Chimney Sweeper
- Childhood trauma and stress in God Help the Child
- The historical setting of The Scarlet Letter
- The repercussions of Macbeth’s determination
- Thomas Paine biography
- The impact of Thomas Paine’s writing on the American revolution
- An introduction to Thomas Paine’s life
- Depiction of symbolism in Lord of the Flies
- Literary analysis of William Golding’s Lord of the Flies
- Emily Bronte’s life and works
- Literary analysis of the play, the Topic
- Presentation of violence and war in Stephen Crane’s poems
- Literary works in World War II
- Religion and spirituality in Lord of the Flies
- Male and female characters on The Godfather
- The theme of love in Romeo and Juliet
- Character analysis of Macbeth
- Gender roles in Macbeth
- Describe the character of lady Macbeth
- Analysis of literary devices utilized in The Catcher in the Rye
Ethics Essay Topics and Ideas
Ethics is simply the study of moral issues. The list below contains a number of great ethics essay topics to consider when looking for a topic for your paper or assignment.
- Discretion or easy accessibility: Which one is more important?
- Are cyber crimes more detrimental than actual crimes against humankind?
- Ethical conflicts associated with the use of drones
- Measures to curb cyber-bullying
- Ethical issues associated with artificial intelligence
- Significance of ethics in the sporting industry
- Moral implications of doping
- Ethical obligations of athletes
- Significance of netiquette
- Moral issues surrounding abortion
- Euthanasia: To be legalized or banned
- What should we do about global warming?
- Sturdy plastic in the manufacture of cosmetics
- Is there any moral justification for hacking?
- Medical care versus religious beliefs
- Discrimination and ethics at the office
- Is consuming meat justifiable?
- How can we fight racism today?
- Should LGBTQ individuals be discriminated against?
- Significance of ethics boards to technological companies
Expository Essay Topics
An important thing to remember about expository essays is that they are solely based on facts and not the author’s feelings or beliefs. Discover some great expository essay topics below:
- Natural ways to alleviate chronic pain
- Role of vitamins in good health
- Basic strategies for the treatment of leukemia
- Is AI good or bad for society?
- The impact of the internet on our daily lives
- Should governments spend money on space exploration?
- Is morality dependent on religion?
- Why are teenagers prone to drug abuse?
- Implications of possessing alcohol on a school campus
- Consequences of dropping out of school
- Why do teens join gangs?
- Impact of school on future career
- Why is suicide common among drug addicts?
- What are the consequences of drug abuse?
- How does divorce impact child psychology?
- Why is video gaming addictive?
- Why dogs are humans’ best friend
- What can be done to reduce homelessness in the U.S.?
- How does obesity affect the quality of life?
- Ways to improve mental health
Family Essay Topics
Family is everything! Discover some of the best family essay topics below:
- Balancing family and career
- Challenges of raising a child as s single parent
- Psychological impacts of divorce of children
- Effects of poor parenting
- How to improve parent-child communication
- Why is child abuse prevalent in the United States?
- Violence in Mexican households
- Comparison of family values between Islam and Christianity
- Gay adoption
- Impact of drug abuse on households
- Treatment of domestic abuse trauma
- Problems experienced by women in the Middle East
- Influence of alcoholism on African households
- Family violence among aborigines
- The view of the Western world on Muslim women
- Are same-sex couples allowed to adopt?
- Child abuse and family violence
- Influence of culture on the British and American family structures
- Gender roles in ancient societies
- Role of parents in youth probation
Gambling Essay Topics
Gambling is a big issue affecting millions of people across the world. It is easy to get addicted to gambling, but not easy to come up with topics for gambling essays. Below are some topic ideas for you.
- How gambling addiction occurs
- Why do some jurisdictions ban gambling
- Should betting be banned nationally
- Is gambling helping Indian reservations
- Gambling in Nevada
- How gambling has changed Las Vegas
- Macau versus Las Vegas
- The pros and cons of gambling
- How can gambling addiction be cured
- Should gambling be restricted to physical casinos
- Gambling trends in the USA
- Should gambling companies be forced to publish profits to deter gamblers
- Gambling history in the United States
- Should gambling advertising be banned
- How internet gambling afflicts young people
- Where gambling is banned across the world
- Do bans on gambling work?
- How gambling is used for money laundering
- Can gambling companies detect addiction and ban it
- Effects of gambling addiction
Read this guide too:
Geography Essay Topics
Geography is a vast subject. When asked to write a geography essay, this can make it a bit confusing. Check out the ideas below for inspiration for your next geography essay.
- Climate change effects in the global south
- Is global warming a myth
- Should wealthy nations pay developing nations for the adverse effects of global warming
- The Amazon rainforest and its biodiversity
- Loss of biodiversity in the Amazon
- Congo rainforest and its biodiversity
- The differences between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific
- Effects of dams on the environment
- The geography of the United States: Environment and people
- The geography of Brazil: Environment and Economy
- The geography of Southern Mexico
- The geography of urban transport in Great Britain
- The geography of France: People and environment
- Japan and earthquakes
- Environmental issues in Madagascar
- How offshore oil rigs affect the environment
- The advantages and disadvantages of offshore windmills on the environment
- Critique of population theories
- Environmental issues affecting Venice
- An analysis of the changes in flora and fauna on the Nigerian coast
What is Next after Choosing a Good Topic for your Essay?
You are now familiar with multiple topic ideas for various subjects. We hope that you now have an idea for your upcoming essays. Before you go, also check out these important guides:
In case you don’t, you should contact us for assistance.
We are a leading essay help company that can develop and deliver high-quality essays. We have experts for virtually every college course and can offer excellent assistance regardless of your goals.
Talk to us today for expert assignment assistance. You can pay someone to write your essay affordably on our website. You will receive a 100% plagiarism-free, edited, and proofread essay on any topic of your choice custom-written to suit your essay prompt and rubric. Join the millions of students inspired by custom-written essays to hone their writing skills for the future. Visit our homepage for more info!